This was actually a project we constructed for another designer that we carry out a lot of high end projects for.
We are used by several designers because of the years landscaping and design experience we have we can make everything work and interpret designs to create exactly what the designer and customer wanted.
Preparing the Garden
When we first arrived, the garden consisted of some very tired old Indian sandstone and a sloping lawn. The first job was to upgrade the fencing and raise the gravel boards so we could create a new level garden.
We had an early delivery date for the octagonal summer house so first base had to be constructed so it could be delivered and built. This meant some careful measurements to get it at correct height and position.
After this we dug up the old patio, stripped the old lawn and set about putting in bases for the paving and gravel paths. We also constructed the framework to take the decking.
At this point the job was going fantastic, groundwork all done paving and decking ordered then good old British winter hit! Loads of snow and 4 weeks of temperatures well below freezing. No way we were putting down porcelain paving in that.
Porcelain Paving Laid
After a break we came back raring to go. The paving was 900×600 Jura Grey porcelain from London stone and edging was a black porcelain 200×100 sett all pointed with stone grey exterior tile grout. The dark setts went well with the dark decking and really made the paving pop.
The paths were still edged with the setts but infilled with a grey Derbyshire angular stone to give another texture and reduce non permeable surfaces.
Most of the paving was straight forward but round the summer house was far more complex. Nearly every slab was cut (some twice) and every cut had to be exact to give a perfect finish.
The other skill was running round to exact levels and meeting the other side square and true. Once again good old laser level came to the rescue (and maybe just a little bit of skill and experience).
The decking was a beautiful, brushed basalt millboard composite decking also supplied by London stone. Any low walling was faced up with the jura grey slabs for a sleek finish.
The next thing we installed were the 6 oak arches ordered from oak and timber structures. These made with 150 x 150 chunky oak beams with dowled joints to give a clean finish.
The arches looked amazing and created a bit of extra height in the garden turning the path into more of a feature. Although not pictured we ran stainless steel wires on sides of arches to take climbing plants.
Lawn and Planting
The last thing to do was dig over the beds and very compacted lawn, bring in topsoil and roll out the lawn (the landscaping equivalent of carpets going down in a renovated house). What a difference a bit of green makes.
The planting scheme on this job was fantastic it really finished the project and bought the job to life.